September 11, 2011

10 years; Memory is still alive :: Colorado Springs Photographer

I was getting ready for class, late as usual, oblivious to the "quietness" that was going on around me.  I walked out of my bedroom into the community living room and my roommate says "where are you going"? I'm not sure what my exact reply was but as soon as she told me to listen to the news, the rest gets kind of blurry.  I'm pretty sure I dropped my backpack and I think I sat in front of that community TV for the next 5 or so hours. Of course I remember all the sadness and the terrifying feeling of the unknown but one of my most fond memories is watching and gasping for each time the news would mention another survivor being recovered or found. I could not peel myself away from that TV, hoping more and more survivors would be found!

This morning, 10 years later, I woke up and gave my kids extra kisses.  It is hard to believe that my kids were not even born when we experienced what happened on September 11th, 2001.  I hope and pray they don't have to ever witness something so terrible and heart breaking.

Our nation 10 years ago began a journey, it was a day that changed lives.  I just wanted to put this blog post out there to ask 2 things; 1) What were you doing that day? and 2) What will you do this year as a good deed in honor of those lives lost?

These pictures below are not from 9/11 but each of them reflect a memory of that feeling of America, of friendliness, of rescue and surviving, and of support and sadness. I took these photo's downtown Colorado Springs this morning while reminiscing what happened 10 years ago today.


No comments:

Post a Comment