February 17, 2012

DIY baby headband tutorial :: Colorado Springs Baby Photographer

I love to girly up my newborns when photographing them and cute little headbands is one of my favorite ways to do it. I spend A LOT of money on props... yes, a lot! My husband would be happy to tell you if you'd like. =) I shop at places like Etsy, Hobby Lobby, Joann's fabric and many more. If you've never been on Etsy, you've got to check it out! I love it because it's homemade items and you're helping small business when you purchase from there.

Well my last trip to Hobby Lobby which was yesterday, and maybe the day before, and... you get the idea I came across these adorable little flowers and knew I had to put them on a babies head. the way I made these headbands are super easy and can have many modifications. I made them to where I will just tie them onto the babies head but you can also close them and make a specific size.  Since I photograph older babies sometimes and since not every baby has the same head, I wanted the option to tie.  For a photographer, having the ability to tie it comes in handy when baby is just barely asleep and you don't want to move her too much.

I'm going to show you how I made these particular ones. I spent $4 at Hobby Lobby and made 3 headbands - Now that's a steal!!
Here's what I used ::
- Flower package from Hobby Lobby
- Lace trim from Hobby Lobby (tons of options here! Mine has a very small stretch to it)
- Felt (you only need a small circle to complete a headband)
- glue gun
- glue sticks (obviously right?)
There are TONS of flower options to make headbands and this is just the easiest way because you already have pretty flowers here that you literally just glue gun to a piece of felt with the headband in between.  When it comes to flower ideas for headbands, your ideas can be endless! Just in the isle I got these, there's tons of 'ready made' flowers just asking to be placed on a childs head.

1) Cut your 'band" (lace trim, ribbon, elastic, etc...) to the size you want. 13inches is common for newborn IF you're going to close it off and if it's got some stretch to it. Mine were cut about 20 inches to have plenty of tie space.
2) Cut little felt circles to cover the back of your flowers. This just holds a barrier for the glue and helps make it soft against babies head.
3) Piece it all together and don't glue your fingers!!!! (it's hot I tell ya!)
***I lay out my band and put the flower upside down and place glue on the felt piece and then stick it all together.  If you're using a non lace band, you could glue to the band first and then add the felt after.
That's it! =) Super easy, super affordable and super adorable. If you can't find these flowers or want me to make you some, shoot me an email and I'll see what I can do. If you make these and use them, I would LOVE to see some photos of it in action.  


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment